Thursday, February 23, 2012

Signs For The Backs Of Our Chairs

Screw Etsy (I know that's not my typical attitude but in this case I mean it)! $60 for "Mrs." & "Mr." signs. $30 for a wooden ampersand? Pass. I decided once the sign was painted and dolled up no one could tell the difference between wood and cardboard anyway. Plus, it wouldn't be worth the investment since I have no idea what I'd do with them after the wedding anyway.

Materials
  • Cardboard (recycled Amazon box)
  • Paint & Brush
  • Card Stock/Construction Paper
  • Silhouette (or exact-o knife)
  • Glue stick
  • Decoupage
  • Crop-a-dile
  • Copper Colored Grommets
  • Ribbon

That's right mine says "Something Clever" and his says "Yet to be Determined". We think it's funny on a few levels. First, I picked out a small card board box. I cut the top and lid off so I'd have two pieces roughly the same size. I painted them dark green with acryllic paint and a foam brush. I'm sure any dark colored paint works for cardboard though. I let them dry overnight (or for over a week while I considered my next step).

Next I used my Silhouette cutter and a free font I downloaded called ales and wenches to write out the words we agreed on. I used plain old brown construction paper. I glued them down with a glue stick (to allow for scooting). Then when they were dry I painted a layer of decoupage over top.

I used my crop-a-dile to punch two holes in the top of each and put in copper colored grommets. Then I carefully touched up the green paint around the edges. Once they were dry I fed some sheer green ribbon through the holes.

1 comment:

I thrive on your feedback. Leave your two cents.