Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Only Other Voice That Matters

When I looked up the legal requirements for a wedding I was stunned. All it takes is a bride, a groom, an officiant (civil or religious) and two witnesses. You have to both be present, make some kind of "verbal acceptance of the union" and all sign the marriage license. That's all. That is making a marriage, which as we all know is not the same thing as planning a wedding.

To meet the requirements of legal marriage would take less than 15min and cost less than $200. To throw a wedding in this area last year on average cost folks $18,275-$30,459 and most vendors who work receptions book for 4hrs. Isn't it strange?

There are all these details, traditions and requirements that have everything to do with ancient superstitions and the wedding industrial complex. Outside of that there all these people involved who all bring their emotional baggage to the equation. It grows from 5 people and as many signatures to a large event being put on for the guests so easily.

I do not want to elope. I am very happy with the wedding I am planning. It just needs to be put in perspective sometimes. It is a promise before God between Mike and I requiring a few witnesses, anything else is our choice. When there are too many cooks in the kitchen or one overly eager person is making themselves heard too loudly it is my job to remember these things are just extras.

In the end there is only one other voice that matters. I am beyond thrilled to have my family and friends with me on the big day. I am floored by the love and support I have felt in the planning process, but planning still becomes overwhelming. It's a simple thing and we choose to make it more complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I thrive on your feedback. Leave your two cents.