Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cake Alternatives

It's just my nature that I want it exactly the way I picture it or something completely different. I immediately started pondering alternatives to cake when I found out plan was a no go. I ran through the possibility of cup cakes...

See, nerds do it too. However, I can't picture the exact right display of cup cakes and out of solidarity with Duff I'd say they're on the bottom of the list.

I love cannoli, but there would be nothing to cut. Even though they'd compliment the dinner menu it would also be really hard to make them cohesive and pretty. I have a legendary fondness for pie as well, but I've never said "Wow! What a beautiful pie." I did see/sample some cake pops at the bridal expo.

I thought they were really good. They seemed different and fun. Would they work as a wedding cake substitute? That's still up for debate. I ate my sample before I was considering my dessert options so Mike has never seen or tasted one. Aside from that Mike has stumped most bakers I've spoken to by requested a white cake flavored like mint chocolate. Leave it to Mike and I to stump 'em.

I am very much open for suggestions, folks. Does anyone know a great baker who would be reasonable and up for a challenge? I'd still like a three tiered cake. Or does anyone have a cake alternative? Something different that we can make pretty. Of course there is the distinct possibility at this point that we may skip the whole thing. Who knows?

9 comments:

  1. We had cake centerpieces. Each table had their own little cake. My husband liked the white cake and I liked the chocolate so there were both kinds all around the room. We had flowers on the cake. We had our own little cakes at our table and... took a bite from our respective cakes. The cake was included with the catering (Orange Blossom) but we had to pay just a little extra for the "extra" pieces. As we walked around and greated the guests, some had already eaten their cake...which was the plan, eat whenever you'd like. Everyone loved the idea and it saved us on silly centerpieces too. Our cakes were from LeCheesecake. Yummy!! -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have already designed lighted centerpieces for the tables, but we're doing a guest book quilt and leaving fabric at each table so people can write when they feel like it and no one has to crowd around one table. Cheesecake...I hadn't thought of cheesecake...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt idea. Our cakes were just cake not cheesecake but cheesecake sounds yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to two weddings last month and one of them had a small three tiered wedding cake that they cut and then served plain cheesecake and had a toppings bar set up with every kind of topping you could want on cheesecake. I was in love. I like the idea of cake pops, I make them often. Maybe you could find someone to make them and using the sticks put them in cut out foam to make a tiered cake pop cake?
    I have also seen them made to look like flowers and just about anything else you could imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cheesecake idea, I was at a wedding last month and they did a cheesecake and toppings bar. Yummy and fun. Cake pops are so much fun to make, google tiered cake pops there are some really amazing looking cake pops set up to look like a three tiered cake. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want, I can try to work up a mint-chocolate white cake recipe. Then at least you'd have that to take to your baker prospects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving the Mario cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear the theme music every time I look at them.

    ReplyDelete

I thrive on your feedback. Leave your two cents.